Are you a Ph.D. student? Don’t have time to read all these? Read this short article. Read it on the first Monday every month.
- Before you go to a graduate school
- General Graduate School Survival Guide
- Presentation Guide
- Scientific/Mathematical Writing Guide
Before you go to a graduate school
I strongly recommend the one below for all graduate students, even if you are already admitted and studying in a graduate program!! I find Section 2 is very meaningful.
- Applying to Ph.D. Programs in Computer Science – Mor Harchol-Balter
General Graduate School Survival Guide
- Some Modest Advice for Graduate Students – Stephen C. Stearns
- How to Be a Good Graduate Student – Marie desJardins
- So long, and thanks for the Ph.D.! (a.k.a. “Everything I wanted to know about C.S. graduate school at the beginning but didn’t learn until later”) – Ronald T. Azuma
- PhDs from the Faculty’s Perspective – Jason Hong
- A Ph.D. Is Not Enough: A Guide to Survival in Science – Peter J. Feibelman (Although I am not a scientist, I really enjoyed reading this book.)
- A Mathematician’s Survival Guide: Graduate School and Early Career Development – Steven G. Krantz (Professor Krantz’s books are always fun to read.)
- Dissertation Completion Strategies – The Graduate School, University at Buffalo
- Creatiing Effective Poster Presentations – George R. Hess, Kathryn Tosney and Leon H. Liegel
- Designing conference posters – Colin Purrington
Scientific/Mathematical Writing Guide
- The Science of Scientific Writing – George D. Gopen and Judith A. Swan
- Ten Simple Rules for Mathematical Writing –Dimitri Bertsekas
- The Elements of Style –William Strunk, Jr.
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations – Turabian et al.
- A Primer of Mathematical Writing: Being a Disquisition on Having Your Ideas Recorded, Typeset, Published, Read & Appreciated - Steven G. Krantz
- How To: Outlining a Research Paper - Amy Stuart
- Remove to improve - Excellent style guides for data, table, and charts, by Joey Cherdarchuk
- Springer Journal Author Academy
- Writing Cover Letters for Scientific Manuscripts
- Publications: Publish like a pro – Kendall Powell
- Teaching College-Level Science and Engineering – Sanjoy Mahajan